Share

Jul 27, 2011

Google Plus ... or Minus?

After a week of playing with Google+, along with 20m other visitors, I’ve liked a number of features including:

1.  Some nifty little functionality, like the ‘circles’ which allow you to segment your social network more easily than Facebook or LinkedIn.
2.  It works seamlessly across platforms within GGE (Great Google Empire), meaning I can switch straight to my gmail account from it with a single click.  And it’s always accessible on the top bar.
3.  It offers Skype quality video/audio chat, and easy access without Skype’s annoying ‘buy minutes today’ advertisements.

Yet after posting a couple items and photos, I’m not sure I’m ready to scrap either Facebook or LinkedIn.  Part of the challenge is I’m not sure what niche or area it is fulfilling that warrants giving it more time in my ‘laptop day’.  It could replace Facebook, which I use mainly as a ‘mass broadcast’ to friends, with a more ‘refined’ and segmented approach.  I like that, but do I really have the time to re-connect with all those on Facebook and bring their details over to Google+?  Funny enough, there isn’t a feature on Google+ to allow importing of Facebook or LinkedIn contacts – I’m sure the GGE would have hit a big ‘+1’ on that idea, and had no ‘like’ from the folks at Facebook.  Similarly it could replace LinkedIn and the business use of Skype, but the hassle factor weighs heavily again – is the reward worth the effort, especially if few of my existing contacts are into Google+ in these early days?

The challenge for any social network, particularly one like Google+ which arrives probably a couple years too late to give Facebook or LinkedIn serious runs for their money, is the same problem brands have faced for many years:  first mover status usually wins out over late arriving ‘me toos’.  Think of all the brands Coke and Pepsi have seen off over the years.  How Tide dominates laundry care.  Admittedly, challenger brands can take on the early-to-rise gang successfully – especially when innovation can be a huge differentiator and allow sectors to redefine themselves rapidly.  But what we may be witnessing with Google+ is similar to the online only banks from the late 1990’s/early 2000’s:  simple idea, which on the surface sounds good, but which may not be worth it to change behavior and switch.  In the case of online only banks, few survived once the established banking brands got their acts together … and that little old financial crisis of a couple years ago! 

For Google+, Facebook, and LinkedIn, the battle is clearly set over one asset:  your time.  At this stage, I’m skeptical GGE can pull it off, but I’m certainly not prepared to write them off!  After all, GGE came to the market with an outrageously high share price of $85 per share in 2004.  Current value $618.  They must have done something right in the last seven years.

3 comments:

  1. Ok... I completely agree with you. In my opinion it'll compete first with Linkedin and then with Facebook, just for the simple reason that businesses are so desperate to get the word out that they'll try Google + and whatever to do so.

    Who I've found so far in Google+ are businesses or consultants (like myself) trying the new toy. Not sure it adds value. Granted I keep predicting Google will fail at some time in the very near future as they lack simplicity, specially in paid services (like adwords) and most importantly, they have not customer support. So, they can be huge, their search engine great, their Gmail not that great but the rest of the services in my humble opinion, they are too many, not well integrated (problem which they are trying to solve with Google+) and with no support... will they survive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I guess these thoughts are widely shared even amongst Gplussers.

    We just have to wait for the next step in Social Media Evolution!

    Alain BERTRAND
    Owner

    MODUS OPERANDI Mauritius
    Social Media Management Services

    Tel: +230 9253276

    Email: alain.bertrand@socialmedia-mauritius.com
    URL: http://www.socialmedia-mauritius.com

    Google Plus: http://gplus.to/alainbertrand/about
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cgabertrand
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/alain.bertrand.mu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two posts from my blog regarding your question:

    To Google: The Plus (+) is so 80´s – You Just Don’t Get It - http://jrgrana.com/blog/?p=599

    How to Maintain Social Media Investment Focus in Times of Hype : Simply Listen - http://jrgrana.com/blog/?p=630

    ReplyDelete